Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ahoj Praha!

View of the Prague Castle from my orientation building
Ahoj! I have been in the beautiful city of Prague for a little over a week. So far I have had a week of orientation, free time, and yesterday I started the intensive Czech language course. I still have two more weeks until the rest of my classes start. Orientation mainly focused on the cultural differences, and how Czechs perceive Americans. The main take away: the Czech people have a "sensitive ear" and think we are loud. We are loud. Very loud. You cannot talk on the metro without getting the occasional stink-eye. Czech people can throw shade; it is impressive.


There are two main things I have noticed while walking around the city, the first being that Czech people avoid eye contact at all cost, and the second being that dogs walk around without leashes. Yes, the dogs are so well trained they just stay by their owner and walk as they please without barking! If any of you know Cooper, you know that would never be a possibilty. I should have brought him along and taken him to some sort of Czech dog class.


Burgerfest 2014 held at U Výstaviště 170 00, Praha
I have had only a few traditional Czech meals so far, but that is not uncommon because Czechs typically eat the "traditional" meals on Sundays. So far my favorite has been roasted duck with the popular potato dumplings. I have also tried a traditional Czech cinnamon-almond pastry called Trdelník from the food vendors, which was delicious, albeit a total tourist move. In addition, I also attended the Prague Burgerfest 2014, where it was great to have a little taste of home.



I live in large flat in Praha 3, in an ex-patriate neighborhood. I have both a tram stop and metro stop nearby (the public transportation system is fantastic, and a semester-long metropass was included in my program). My flat is huge, even for four people: tall ceilings, lots of natural light, and our own washer (but no dryer)! I also have a Czech buddy, Jakub (who is actually Slovak); he lives next door and is available anytime we need help. So far my roommate and I have cooked a few meals and tonight I even made banana bread! We have a grocery store on other side of the block, which I have frequented almost everyday, with today's purchase being sour cream and onion chips.




Powder Tower
Somehow I keep ending up at Václavské náměstí (Wenceslas Square) as I wander around the city, so clearly it is time I look closer at the map so I can discover other parts of Prague. The GoogleMap app has been a lifesaver! If you load the address and select your route while still connected to wifi, you can use the map offline; the app can still track your location and it has great directions for using the public transportation. I have only gotten lost once, but I was able to take this great picture, so it wasn't all that bad.




However, my week has not been struggle free by any means. I have ordered sparkling water from the vending machine instead of flat water. My feet are sore because I am unaccustomed to all the walking. I made a long and exhausting trek to IKEA and only returned with a few cups. My laptop decided to stop working, but more on that later. This week I will continue my intensive Czech language course, along with going to two internship interviews, attending the opera, and taking a field trip to Kutná Hora! Until next time, ahoj!



Blog title credit goes to the one and only Natalie Hall.




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Look forward to watching the season change. How about some pictures of the food?

    Uncle Steve laughed at the stink eye comment. I think if Cooper and Penny had gone with you, there would be many shoeless people in Prague!

    Love you.

    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to take more pictures of food! I miss Cooper and Penny... they would not last long in the city, they bark too much.

      Delete
  2. O.K. I just wrote a long post, only to have it disappear. Or at least I THINK it disappeared. So if this ends up being a repeat, oh well....

    It's past 1 a.m. here, which is the perfect time to see if Jessica Marie has made any updates to her blog. I was sleeping soundly until about an hour ago when Shadow Marie (yes, she was named after you) tapped my side of the bed. Shadow always starts on my side of the bed. When I don't respond, she trots over to George's side and gives him a tap. He's either a much more sound sleeper than I, or a better faker. (I'm thinking the latter.) On her second attempt to wake me up, I gave up and came downstairs to let her go outside. Being that Garrett had let her out a few hours earlier, I'm thinking this was more of a "I"m bored and want to go outside to run around" thing. If Shadow was in Prague, she'd be too busy smelling everyone's crotch to stay by me. And God forbid if a small animal should run across her path...
    I liked how you wrote about people there preferring to not make eye contact. On a rerun episode of "The Middle" tonight, Sue had to do a school report where she was trying to learn if smiles are contagious. I was thinking about how much I would LOVE to be in Prague and smile freakishly big at every stranger who walked by, just like Sue did. How funny would it be to first set them off by making over-the-top eye contact, smiling like a clown, and then having your dog run up to smell their 'personal space'.... :-D

    I need to go to Prague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how Garrett used to call Shadow the "love puppy"! Smiling at everyone would definitely be a good social experiment to try here, but I'm pretty sure they would all look at me like I'm crazy. I miss everyone, so I think you should all come visit me in Prague!

      Delete